Join us in the field or lab!
Learn archaeological methods while getting your hands dirty. From artifact washing to excavating foundations, there are various activities. You too can discover pieces of Fairfax’s History.
New Volunteer Orientation
It is recommended that prospective archaeology volunteers attend an Archaeology New Volunteer Orientation prior to signing up for the Archaeology Lab or Field Assistant opportunities. The orientation is designed to teach beginners some basic archaeological methods while introducing those with experience to our department.
We host orientations periodically. If an orientation is scheduled, you can see it by scrolling down to “Schedule“, click the “Sign Up” button for the date you would like to attend an orientation. If all orientations are full or none are scheduled, you can “apply” without signing up for a date or send us an email of interest. Please continue to check the website as we add orientation dates regularly.
Lab and Field Volunteering
Assist archaeologists with processing and documentation of artifacts in the lab and the identification or excavation of archaeological sites in the field.
The Archaeology New Volunteer Orientation is recommended prior to volunteering in the lab or field (see above). All volunteering is scheduled in advance by signing up for an available time.
- Lab Volunteering – most Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 9 am – 3 pm and some Saturdays
- Field Volunteering – most Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Time of day is usually similar to the hours in the lab, but may vary depending on the project.
Our office, lab and field are closed on county observed holidays.
Volunteers for the Fairfax County Park Authority
Volunteers who meet a certain number of hours volunteering a week now receive special benefits. Go to the FCPA volunteer webpage to discover current benefits!
Our branch, The Archaeology and Collections Branch, offers internships in archaeology and cultural resource management year round. Internships are usually geared for each individual’s needs. One of our most popular internships is the Archaeological Field and Laboratory Assistant internship. If you do apply for an internship, send an email directly to us so we can watch for your application.
Opportunities outside of FCPA
You can also support these other groups for more activities around Fairfax County and Virginia.
- Archaeological Society of Virginia (ASV): https://www.virginiaarcheology.org/
- Northern Virginia Chapter of the ASV (NVC ASV): http://nvcasv.org/
- Friends of Fairfax Archaeology and Cultural Resources (FoFA): http://fofaweb.org/
- Fairfax County Park Foundation: http://fairfaxparkfoundation.org/