With the Fourth of July approaching, we thought we would feature an artifact appropriate for the holiday. During recent excavations, CART archaeologists recovered this button. It has the monogram letters “RA” over the number “2.” A little bit of research indicated that this military button belonged to the Second Regiment Artillerists. As luck would have it, this dates to a very narrow window. With the outbreak of the War of 1812, the young nation needed more than the one artillery regiment in its regular army and two additional regiments were formed. The Second Regiment Artillerists saw action at several battles between 1812 and 1813, mostly in Canada but in Ohio and New York as well. The first commander of the Second Regiment Artillerists was none other than then-Lieutenant Colonel Winfield Scott. Scott continued to serve until the outbreak of the American Civil War, making him the longest serving general in the history of the country. The U.S. Army consolidated artillery units into the Corps of Artillery in 1814, meaning this button was only in service for two years.
Happy Independence Day!!!
The First Regiment of Artillery, U.S. Center of Military History. https://history.army.mil/books/R&H/R&H-1Art.htm
The Second Regiment of Artillery, U.S. Center of Military History. https://history.army.mil/books/R&H/R&H-2Art.htm
Brevet Lieutentant General Winfield Scott, Historical Army Foundation. https://armyhistory.org/brevet-lieutenant-general-winfield-scott/