The office, field and lab are closed on observed county holidays.
The lab will be closed Fri Dec 22nd – Tues Dec 26th. Note that the field schedule may be different. Please write the field at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the field schedule.
As winter approaches, even our indoor temperatures can be unpredictable. If you are in the lab, please wear warm layers. You may want your coat, hats, scarves just in case. If you will be joining our field crew, please wear clothing appropriate for the weather and contact them at email@example.com for additional suggestions about outdoor gear.
The Archaeology Team prefers everyone live long full happy lives, so in any weather event, please stay off the roads if there is any question of safety regardless of the following protocol.
Winter and the Archaeology Lab:
The Park Authority follows Fairfax County Government closures.
- If Fairfax County Government is closed: the office and archaeology lab will be closed & any fieldwork suspended.
- If Fairfax County Government opens late or closes early: the office and archaeology lab will be closed & any fieldwork suspended at the announced time of day.
The lab may close under the following conditions:
- If Fairfax County Schools open late or are closed: It is possible lab and field volunteering may begin late or be suspended. Please check with us via email when we will be open before coming to volunteer.
- If Fairfax County Government Employees have the option of “liberal leave”: It is possible lab and field volunteering will be suspended. Please check with us via email when we will be open before coming to volunteer.
There are several websites with pertinent information
- The Fairfax County Emergency Information Blog
- The Fairfax County Park Authority Website
- WTOP List of Closings and Delays
Please note Fairfax County Park Authority weather procedure. Park facilities may still be open and classes still scheduled even when the CART lab is closed.