Archaeology New Volunteer Orientations
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please sign up for an Archaeology New Volunteer Orientation. Our next volunteer orientations are:
Thursday November 17, 2016 and
Saturday December 10, 2016
Our Holiday Schedule
We will be closed during the following holidays.
- Veteran’s Day Fri Nov 11th (lab closed Sat Nov 12, while field will be open)
- Thanksgiving Week Wed Nov 23th – Sat Nov 26th
- Christmas Thur Dec 23rd – Mon Dec 26th
- New Years Sat Dec 31st – Mon Jan 2nd
- County Holiday Fri Jan 20th
The days that are available to volunteer should be in the Fairfax Volunteer Management System online calendar. To view the calendar, sign in. From your dashboard, on the left choose “Schedule” which will open a calendar. Note: You will have to use the drop down on the top left to sort by to choose the specific opportunity you wish to see. It loads slowly, but usually works.
In Case of Severe Weather
As winter approaches, even our indoor temperatures can be unpredictable. If you are in the lab, please wear warm layers. You may want your coat, hats, scarves just in case. If you will be joining our field crew, please wear clothing appropriate for the weather and contact them at email@example.com for additional suggestions about outdoor gear.
The Archaeology Team prefers everyone live long full happy lives, so in any weather event, please stay off the roads if there is any question of safety regardless of the following protocol.
Fairfax County’s new weather procedure applies to us. As a general rule:
- If Fairfax County Government or Schools are closed: the archaeology lab will be closed & any fieldwork suspended.
- If Fairfax County Government or Schools open late: the archaeology lab will either open late or be closed & field work most likely suspended. Please check with us via email when we will open before coming to volunteer.
- If Fairfax County Government or Schools close early: the lab will close & fieldwork will be suspended at the announced time of day. Please email before coming to volunteer.
- If Fairfax County Government Employees have the option of “liberal leave”: Please wait until you are contacted by us before leaving your home. We will let you know if we are able to make it to the lab or field. We will contact you either by email or by posting notice on this website as soon as we are able.
There are several websites with pertinent information
- The Fairfax County Emergency Information Blog
- The Fairfax County Park Authority Website
- The Washington Post List of Area Closings