The historic crew has started to really wind down at the historic site. We finished almost all the work on two excavation areas near the road. These units discovered a stone foundation (Feature 51) and tested into a cellar (Feature 52) that initial analysis indicates was filled in the ca.1830-1840 time period. Here is where we exposed the northwest corner.
And here is the profile of excavations into the northeast corner. Note the apparently never receding water table. Since our recent drenchings, the water table rose to approximately 20 above the base of excavations.
Having finish recording these units, they will shortly be closed. Then the final efforts on the Town site will focus on the stone foundation that George Mason University discovered during excavations in the 1980s. As a teaser, GMU ascribed the structure to Morris Pound. However, new research conducted by CART historian Maddy McCoy and CART’s excavations are challenging this earlier conclusion. One last tough nut to crack.