What do you do when a couple of wet weeks raise the already high water table on site and you have a dirty stone masonry foundation wall with partial brick flooring? Well, if you are a photo-obsessed field director, you take the opportunity to use the ground water and a stiff brush to clean things off, then bail, and repeat until you get the desired effect. The exercise paid off for the most part; we got some pretty good pictures of the feature (but some pretty soaked feet).
Here it is in plan view looking east, for a good overall view. You can see the articulated, intact eastern wall (top); the north wall (right) had been entirely rubble and was removed. The bluish stone at the base of the north wall may be nearly in place and seems to give the proper alignment.
A closer in shot from the same direction gives better detail of the stonework. Also, you can see what appears to be section of iron pipe butting up against the northwestern-most brick.
Looking south, you get an idea for the cellar fill. It contained an impressive amount of architectural stone, more than two tons from an approximately 1-x-1 meter area. We are assuming that this rubble represents the detritus of a failed north wall. Unfortunately, the photo does a poor job showing how much the east wall has buckled.
Work on this feature block is nearly complete and we have started shifting focus towards the western portion of our area, around what George Mason University called the Morris Pound house. That will most likely close out our work on the town site, at least the “Downtown” portion.