It turns out to be another! This test unit was started south of the Morris Pound foundation, just off a landform, on a whim. Early on, we noticed a dark, semicircular stain in the south west corner. So we opened up another unit, caddy corner south of this one. Hmm… no matching semicircular stain in the north east corner, where, logically, it should be. Thoroughly confused, Robin set back into digging the first unit, with eager volunteers Bill and Alan ready to dig their first feature! A post hole, you say?
“Hey, Robin, this seems weird.”
“What’s happening, Alan?”
“Well, there is a large, flat stone at the bottom of my bisect of the post hole. Is that normal?”
I don’t have to tell all you eager archaeologist out there that what Alan found was unusual. So, we took it all out. And then we dug some more.
Look! The makings of a wall!
Volunteers Bill and Alan got to work on the feature two weeks in a row, and did a great job exposing two layers of compact feature fill in one hot and muggy day.
While there is still a good portion of this feature to be
excavated in this unit alone, we are making good progress.
So, there you have it, folks. A nice slate wall feature. Currently, it appears to be approximately 40 cm in width with an unknown length. Also unknown and still to come is which side of the wall is inside the structure. Stay tuned, and keep digging!
(8 July 11) Wall feature update! Robin finished excavating the visible feature within the test unit. Check it out! More digging to come.
And don’t forget, tomorrow, 9 July 11, is Volunteer Appreciation Day. Come on by and check this out in person, as well as several other really cool features. See you there!