So we decided to take a little more look at the stone foundation. Here’s where we are and how we got there:
First step, expand the original 50cm x 50cm MTU (mini-test unit for the uninitiated) into a full-sized 1m x 1m test unit.
Next, we removed the humic layer, top soil, and fill sand. Thanks to GMU for putting the sand on top of the feature. Made it easier to find, drained water keeping the stone in great condition, and let us know where to start digging extra carefully. Looked pretty awesome.
By the end of today, we had excavated two strata into the fill inside the foundation. Artifacts are sparse, and small with most diagnostics coming from the 1/8″ fraction, but everything points to a colonial date. Unfortunately, we won’t be back to work in the feature again until next week. Keep you posted!